Monday, July 29, 2013

{Blurb & Excerpt} Again by Brandy Jeffus

Hi! Welcome to my stop. This stop consists of a blurb and an excerpt of my choice. Click here to check out the rest of the tour stop. Enjooooy.
Again by Brandy Jeffus
Release Date: May 15th 2013
Genre: New Adult, Contemporary

From recess buddies to high school sweethearts, Eli Stone and Bonnie Jinks were constants in each other's lives. Although young, their relationship had withstood the test of many teenage tribulations. Marriage and a happy ever after were in their future plans.

One alcohol fueled mistake rips them apart. Bonnie ends up on the road with her new boyfriend while Eli joins the military. It seems as if their lives will never intersect again.

A near  fatal accident brings them together and their chemistry is undeniable. But will the pain of the past keep them apart? Can they make their love work again?

 

{Excerpt}
"So have you talked to him? Has he apologized or anything?" Tatum asks shyly. She doesn't like to bring Mick up. It’s too soon and she knows I don’t care to talk about him, not yet anyway. Tatum is smart beyond her years and extremely sensitive to others around her. She’s always had that gift.

"No he hasn't, but that's ok. I'm glad it happened...not mom's accident, but the break up. I think it was way past due," I reply quietly, lost in my own thoughts. Mick Jones had been my boyfriend for the past five years. We met at a local bar where his band headlined one night. Shortly after, they hit it big and signed a record deal. Mick begged me to come on the road with him and so I did. I packed a small suitcase and took off with him. I shocked Mick, my mom and sister, and myself.

Things were good for a long time. Being with a rocker was an equal mix of extreme dramatics and extreme chill. I was infatuated with Mick and carelessly threw myself into our relationship. Mick had some contacts and helped my career as an artist. I ended up creating the cover of their album and won some high spirited praise from the art world. Now we had split up. The past few months had been rough and full of fighting. The equal drama-chill relationship took a nosedive to total dramatics 24/7.

When my mom had her accident, I told him I was going to go home for an undetermined amount of time. This sparked a huge argument and Mick gave me an ultimatum. He did not want me to go, and it was either him or my mom. I chose my mom.

Gossip spreads quickly in the music industry. An hour after I boarded my plane, the news of our break up was already on TV and the radio. I never liked being a celebrity's significant other and always tried to keep private. Still, people knew who I was, and they knew we had split up.
My sister knew about our break up via technology before I even broke the news to her personally. Giving up that part of my life was going to be easy. But having that part give up on me would prove difficult it seemed.

"It's still weird seeing you on TV and hearing people talk about you like they know you. Before you landed, someone on the radio said you cheated on him. I was so mad. I almost called the radio station to set the record straight," Tatum says as we get ours trays and pick our food.

"Girl, I know. Believe me; it's weird for me too. The rumors hurt a lot, but you just learn to live with them. After a while they don't bother you as much," I reply as we sit down.

We eat our dinner quickly, inhaling the tasteless hospital cafeteria food. We clear our trays and start back to the elevators.

"What about all your stuff? Are you going to move back in with Mama?" Tatum asks.

"I've emailed Mick's assistant to pack all my belongings and mail them to me. Mick might be a lot of things, but he's decent enough to give me that right. I'm not worried 'bout most of it though. I just want my paintings mainly," I say.

Right before the wreck, I had been in talks with a major museum about having my paintings displayed. I had finally gotten the courage to dive into that realm of the business.

"And yes, I'm going to move back, until Mama says she's okay to live by herself." Tatum nods in agreement. She is in the Army, stationed 100 miles away. She had gotten approved leave to come when the accident happened, but it was going to end quickly.

"That's good. I won't worry as much then," she smiles at me and turns into the room. I walk right into her because she has stopped.

"Hey girl, watch where you're…" I trail off as I spot the reason why she’s still. A police officer is seated beside my mom's bed. Mama is sitting up and smiling. They both stop their conversation and look our way.

"Holy shit on a shingle," I whisper. My heart flip-flops around and I feel my breath hitch in my lungs.

"Hey, Bonnie," Eli says with an easy smile.

****
brandy.JPGBrandy Jeffus has been writing stories since an early age. She would dictate them to her mom who would type them out on a typewriter. 
She is a mother to two precious children and lives in North Texas, but she'll always consider herself an East Texan, hailing from the Rose Capital of the world, Tyler. 


GIVEAWAY TIME!
a Rafflecopter giveaway

2 comments:

  1. You're very welcome and thanks to you too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Nadine for being apart of the tour!!

    xoxox
    Brandy

    ReplyDelete