Genre: Young Adult, Dystopia, Romance
Published: April 24th 2012 by Harper Collins USA
Pages: 352 (paperback)
Source: Borrowed from a friend.
Goodreads Summary:
For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in the palace and compete for the heart of the gorgeous Prince Maxon.
But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.
Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself- and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.
But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.
Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself- and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.
My Thoughts:
{I should be working on my school project because of the damned deadline and I should be finished by now and we all know that I have decided to read this book instead and I ended up messing around with everything.} I don't know where to begin but I'd like to say that I enjoy it in some strange way. I mean, at the first place, I know exactly where the story will go. How America got chosen as The Selection, how Prince Maxon felt about her, and how at the end, she will be torn and trapped in a love triangle. But this was like the only exception 'cause I was kind of addicted to it.
This whole story sets in the future of what we called America or the US. At the time, the Chinese rule the world. They even changed the name 'America' to 'China-America' and Ilea is one of those places there, ruled by a King and a Queen with their prince, Prince Maxon.
The Selection itself is the bachelor-like competition for being the gorgeous Prince Maxon's wife, which means living in a huge palace, being rich, being a princess and a future queen, delicious food, and everything every Ilea girl could ever dreamed of.
For America Singer, it's a disaster. Her family, especially her mother wants her to go and register herself to enter the competition for the sake of the family and to get rid of their nearly poor life condition. I don't really like this one mom character 'cause it looks more like she is looking forward into glamorous life and stuffs than trying to think of her daughter's own happiness. And, it never slipped America's mind that she'd be attracted by the prince, since she had Aspen. That is until Aspen himself made her enter that competition, becoming one of the Selection girls, which then turned out to be one of The Elites.
As for the characters, America Singer is so me apart from her talent and her pretty face. She is brave, humble, kind, and she has a good sense of humor yet a little bit lazy and stubborn. Which are the reasons why I like her. Maxon: I thought he is arrogant, formal, and 'bad' with all his power and authority as a prince. Who knows that he is actually so normal? Aspen: no one could say no to a green eyed freakin handsome guy's loyalty. If I was America, I honestly would really hate having to choose between Maxon and Aspen. It's difficult 'cause the more it goes to the end, the more I fall in love with Maxon. On the other side, who can ignore Aspen?
It ends on a little bit of a cliffhanger and I'm so looking forward to read the second book of the series. I've been wondering what big interesting thing is going to happen next. Sure do hope there'll be more actions and adventures. If you need an enjoyable refreshing read, this ones for you.
“No, I’m not choosing him or you. I’m choosing me.”
“I hit your thigh!”
“Oh, please. A man doesn’t need that long to recover from a knee to the thigh”
“I hope you find someone you can't live without.I really do. And I hope you never have to know what it's like to have to try and live without them.”
4 out of 5 stars










No comments:
Post a Comment